Wow, wow, wow. I can’t believe a whole year has already gone by. On one hand, it definitely feels like a year’s worth of baking has taken place, but on the other hand I feel like I just started blogging! Thank you all for the support and love over that past year as I learned about blogging, photography, and most importantly – baking. You have made many a day sweeter with your kind words of encouragement.
If you are new to the blog, I’ll give you a quick recap of what’s been going on for the past year. I received the cookbook “Baking” by Better Homes and Gardens for Christmas 2013 and began to formulate an idea for baking my way through the book on a sort of challenge. I have always loved baking, but I never really devoted much time to it other than baking cakes for friend’s and family’s birthdays. If I created a baking challenge for myself, though, that would be a great way to learn and improve my baking with a bit of accountability. Then, the idea of starting a blog to share my adventures in the kitchen seemed like an even better idea. So, The Baking Challenge and The Little Blue Mixer were created. My task – bake at least one recipe a week for an entire year and share it with all of you.
And….. drumroll, please…….
I’ve made it through a whole year! A year of making a mess in the kitchen, taking way too many photos of food, and waiting until the last possible minute to whip it all together in a post that you all hopefully enjoy. A wonderful, hectic, sweet, (sometimes stressful), sugar-filled year. It’s been fantastic.
So, just for fun, I made a big ole list of accomplishments, things learned, and things that I am thankful for from this year. Everyone loves lists. You know, just title it the top 10 fill in the blank and you’ve already got everyone’s attention. Anyways, enjoy. 🙂
- Buttercream is the best.
- There are more cake plates in my kitchen now than there were this time last year. (WIN! 😀 )
- I got out of my comfort zone in the kitchen and baked a lot of “firsts” this year! Example 1 – Raspberry Eclairs
- I’m thankful for an encouraging husband who keeps me on task and makes sure I always have a post ready for you on Friday.
- Never be afraid to add a little flourish on top of anything you bake. (Or a lot – Chocolate Chip and Peanut Butter Cookies, White Chocolate Birthday Cake)
- I have such great followers and friends who always give fantastic tips and encouragement.
- Chocolate + Caramel + Sea Salt = WIN. These Salted Chocolate Caramel Rounds are proof.
- I sold my first cake!!!!
- I’m thankful for great co-workers who willingly make sure none of these tasty treats are wasted.
- Whoopie Pies are addicting.
- Cheesecake is more addicting.
- I’m thankful for fun get togethers like Fiesta Friday to virtually share, learn, and be inspired about all things food and baking!
- I didn’t quit! Please see exhibit A) Red Velvet Cupcakes and exhibit B) Devil’s Food Cake
- Carrot Cake = such a wonderful thing. I never would have guessed I would like it so much.
- Chocolate Cookies. Chocolate Cake. Chocolate Pie. Chocolate Muffins. Yep, anything with chocolate.
- I’m thankful for the fun people at Better Homes and Gardens who created all of these fantastic recipes!
- Royal icing is tricky. But, once you get the hang of it, it’s quite beautiful.
- Again, I’m thankful for my wonderful husband who always reminds me this is a learning process. Everything won’t always come out perfect the first time.
- I have been able to use lots of my baking pans for the first time!
- You can win people over with food. I still hear comments about this Almond Brickle Ring Cake today!
- I’m thankful for a good pair of running shoes.
- Decorating cakes like this Yellow Cake with Chocolate Buttercream takes patience, but it is so worth it.
- I have such fantastic family and friends who always support and encourage. Thank you!
- I baked and blogged for 52 straight weeks!
- Baking is great. Brightening someone’s day with those baked goods is even better. 🙂
I’ve had several people ask whether or not I plan to continue blogging since I have completed The Baking Challenge. Well, the answer is YES! I will still be baking away and blogging away! The format may change a little bit, but The Little Blue Mixer will go on. I’m thinking about branching out and creating some of my own recipes, sharing some of my personal favorites with you, and trying out some things that have been on my list for quite a while now. If you have something you want me to try out, please send it my way. I also want to concentrate on cakes, cookies, and brownies and really find some perfect base recipes that I can develop later. I’m excited about the next year, and I look forward to sharing with you along the way. I’ll be back in two weeks with something new for you!
One more big bit of news for you… I randomly selected a winner for my giveaway of a copy of “Baking” by Better Homes and Gardens! And the winner is… Mrs. Candy! Woohoo! I’m so excited to share this wonderful book with you, and I truly hope that you enjoy it. It’s hard to go wrong with any of the recipes. They are all so good! Congratulations, Mrs. Candy, enjoy!
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and thank you for coming by the blog today! It’s been a great year; here’s to many more!