Hey friends! I’m back! Hubs and I have been out in the Pacific Northwest on vacation for a bit. Let me tell you, it was beautiful. The weather was perfect, the landscape was breathtaking, the trees were massive, and the water was blue blue blue. We have already started fantasizing about our next trip out there.
It was perfect.
It was also starting to feel like fall! So, this week I’m coming back with a fall cookie I whipped up because of the fantastic cool weather we have had a taste of.
I started off with a tried and true sugar cookie recipe that I made during The Baking Challenge and ended up modifying it a bit as I went. I added in some maple syrup and apple pie spice, and this cookie is officially a winner!
I would start off with a nice ingredient pic for you, per usual, but it wouldn’t be very accurate this time. Because I made these cookies twice. The first batch turned into a thin buttery mess when baked, although the dough tasted great. I switched from butter to shortening and added a bit more flour, and the next batch came out great!
Now add in the maple syrup, apple pie spice, baking soda, cream of tartar, & salt. Be sure to mix well, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. This is where we get all of our delicious flavors!
Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla. And finally, gradually mix in the flour. Now it’s time to bake these delicious fall treats.
Place the dough on an ungreased cookie sheet in about 1 inch balls. Make sure you leave about 2 inches between the cookies because they will spread out while baking.
And here they are!
Delish maple sugar cookies with a nice touch of apple flavor just in time for fall. 🙂
I’m really looking forward to this fall season. I will have to see what other fall goodies I can whip up and share with you! I hope you enjoy the recipe!
Thank you SO much for stopping by today; y’all are the best!
Apple Maple Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the shortening for 30 seconds. Scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure all of the shortening is nice and creamy.
- Add in the sugar and cream together.
- Mix in the maple syrup, apple pie spice, baking soda, cream of tartar, & salt. Mix well, scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla.
- Gradually mix in the flour.
- Form the dough into 1 inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet, leaving about 2 inches between cookies.
- Bake at 300°F for 12 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool on cooling rack.